Vandalism & Theft Insurance Claims

Vandalism and theft are increasing over time and are often also referred to as property crimes. Vandalism and theft are known as intentional injury or destruction of property and can be graded according to the severity of the damage caused. Vandalism is when a party does damage to someone else’s property and is one of the most common property crimes. Malicious mischief, while similar, doesn’t necessarily mean the damage is intentional. Theft is when the property is removed or stolen, and this event can range from petty theft to grand theft.

Some common forms of vandalism and theft include the following:

  • Graffiti
  • Defacing property
  • Breaking windows
  • Removing signs or ornaments
  • Trash dumping
  • Petty theft
  • Burglary
  • Robbery
  • Grand theft
  • Grand theft auto

If you have experienced any form of vandalism or theft, you can make sure that you receive the correct amount of damages by getting representation from a reliable attorney. Call Florida Home Claim now for more information. 

Is vandalism covered by insurance?

Comprehensive insurance typically covers vandalism, and although this covers all of the damages, there is a required deductible. There is coverage for the home and the car, and they usually come with separate policies through a homeowners insurance policy or an auto vehicle insurance policy.

Are vandalism and theft the same?

Theft and vandalism are entirely different. Theft is the act of stealing by wrongfully taking away someone else’s property. Additionally, theft can include the unlawful breaking and entry of someone’s property as well as violent and aggressive behavior. Vandalism is when damage or destruction occurs to the property with intentional malicious intent. This can be something as small as tagging property with graffiti to as big as destroying ornamental structures on a property. 

How does vandalism insurance work?

Vandalism is treated differently from theft under an insurance property. For example, vandalism damages do not cover dwellings that have been vacant for over 60 days. If damages are caused by any of the named insureds on the policy, then the damages may not be covered either. The frequency of this loss typically requires a higher deductible if the property has been unoccupied for a certain number of hours out of the day. 

How does homeowner’s insurance treat theft?

Homeowners insurance can help cover theft and break-ins through dwelling coverage, personal property cover, and other structures coverage. Dwellings coverage can help pay for damages because there is a peril involved. Intruders that break in through a window or door will be covered by the insurance because the burglar poses a life threat. Personal property coverage can also help to cover and repair any damaged or stolen belongings. Items taken from your home can be replaced by personal property coverage. Other structures coverage can help to pay for the repair of structures destroyed or detached from your property. This can apply to garage break-ins and damaged sheds. 

What is the difference between vandalism and burglary?

Vandalism is when someone deliberately causes damage to another’s property, while burglary is when someone breaks into the property in order to commit theft. 

What should I do after vandalism or theft occurs?

When you first experience vandalism or theft, you should immediately reach out to the police so that you can report the incident. After the police have investigated the scene and have the report on record, you can contact your agent to inform them of what happened. While the police may access the damage, your insurance company will also have its own methods of determining the value of the property damage due to vandalism or theft. Next, it is recommended that you detail a list of the property that was stolen if you experienced a theft. If there was any vandalism, you can list the damage that happened to your property. Another suggestion is to take pictures of your entire home before you clean it up to show the amount of damage it sustained. If you were injured or harmed, your medical bills can also be included in the total amount of damages. 

Next Steps for Vandalism and Theft Insurance Claims

After your home has been vandalized or had property stolen, it is a good idea to report what happened to the authorities immediately. You can receive additional guidance and input on what to expect once your case has been investigated. Speak with your insurance company next to alert them of the situation that happened. After your insurance company comes up with an estimate, you should consult with an attorney to determine if the compensation is accurate. Contact Florida Home Claim to learn more.